Tuesday 15 May 2018

EXPRESSING ONESELF by Samson Mwita



EXPRESSING ONESELF.

1.   EXPRESSING ONE’S FEELINGS AND EMOTIONS.
People feel differently because of various reasons. For instance if your parent is dead or you have failed the exam you will feel sad. But if you have passed the exam you will feel happy (excited).
So when you say: “I feel or I am ________ (followed by an adjective like happy, sad, embarrassed, worried,) you are expressing a feeling. E.g.
I am sick,
I feel sorry,
Use the following words to make a list of positive feelings and negative feelings. 2. Use the same lists to make five sentences from each list showing positive and negative feelings.
Discouraged, annoyed, happy, sad, sympathetic, humiliated, privileged, panicky, rejected, confident, joyful, sorrowful, stupid, powerless, confused, embarrassed, bored, tired, depressed, angry, hungry, ashamed, shy, powerful. etc.

Read the following sentences and say what you would say in these situations.
1.      You are fast walking in a busy street and you hit an older woman and she falls down.
You say; I am sorry/ forgive me
2.      You have visited your friend who is sick,  on leaving the hospital you say; Get well soon/I wish you a quick recovery
3.      Your friend has lost his daddy, to express your sympathy you say; sorry for the loss of your father/ sorry for the loss receive my condolence.
4.      You have passed your exam, to show your joy you say;
I am so excited/happy
5.      Your teacher has abused you in public, to express your feeling you say; I am humiliated/embarrassed/annoyed
6.      If you answer the question and the teacher refuses your answer, you feel discouraged/embarrassed
7.      You have been working for 12 hours nonstop, now you feel, very tired/weary
8.      When I was told that I am the best student in the class for giving a powerful speech I felt  very excited/happy/joyful/privileged
9.      Someone has beaten you up without any good reason you feel angry/annoyed
10.   Your sister has been raped by 10 men. You feel embarrassed/humiliated/ashamed

EXPRESSING VIEWS AND OPINIONS
Opinions are ideas or views about something or an object that can be proved to be true or not. Opinions can be expressed in letters, speeches, in newspapers, conversation etc.
Ø  When you say “I think, believe, hope, expect, suggest etc ” then you are expressing a thought/opinion.
E.g. I think I am sick.
I think I am stupid.
Opinions may be expressing prediction, giving advice, describing etc E.g.


I think it is going to rain.
I hope all form fours will pass the exam.
I expect to get a baby boy.
This girl is very beautiful,
Juma is a very kind person.
The boy I saw is very handsome.
I suggest we take a taxi.


Read the following sentences and say what you would say in these situations
1.     You want to go out for a short call. To ask for permission you say ......................................................
2.    Your friend is sick to wish him a farewell.
 You say.......................................................................
3.    Your bother is celebrating a 20th birthday. To wish him for the day; you say.......................................................
4.    You are participating in a debate and you want to interrupt a speaker you say............................................
5.    If you have failed your exam; you feel...........................



CONDITIONAL SENTENCES
These are sentences that express a condition that must be fulfilled for something else to take place.
There are three types of conditional sentences.
Ø  The first type expresses the conditions that are likely to be fulfilled.
Ø  The second type is used when the condition is less probable/less likely and;
Ø  The third expresses the past possibilities or unlikely conditions.

Conditional Type 1
If I find her address, I will send her an invitation.
I will send her an invitation, if I find her address.
Ø  Note that in conditional sentence type 1 (likely or probable/possible conditions) you use present simple in the “If clause” and will/shall in the main clause.
Ø  This conditional is also called “real” conditional because it is used for real situations. These situations take place if a certain condition is met / fulfilled.
i.e. If/unless + simple present + future (will/shall)
Ø  Not also that you can have the “main clause” or the “If clause” at the beginning of the sentence.
  E.g If Mbwana Samata plays today, we shall win the match.
We shall win the match, If Mbwana Samata plays today.

“The use of If”
I will improve my English, if I do more exercises.
If she goes to the hospital early, she will not (won’t) die
If you go to Ngorongoro you will see a lot of animals.
If john comes, we will hold a party.
If you stay quite in the class the teacher will not punish you.
If I live near the river I will be a fisherman.
If you work hard, I will give you a gift.
If Mbwana Samata plays today, we shall win the match.
If you send this letter now, she will receive it tomorrow.
John will marry you, if you give him a chance.

“The use of unless”
Unless” means the same as “if not”. It is used in conditional sentences of all types.
Examples
Unless you study hard, you won’t pass the exam.
Unless she goes to the hospital early, she will die
Unless you stay quiet, the teacher will punish you.
Unless I live near the river I won’t be a fisherman.

Exercise.
1.     Put the following sentences in their correct form to make conditional sentences type 1.
a.    If it (rain), we (not go) to play.
b.    If Joseph (get) more money, he (buy) a new car.
c.    If you don’t stop smoking, you (get) lung cancer.
d.    You will pass, if you (study) hard.
e.    She will pass, if she (study) hard.
2.    Change the sentences above and put ‘unless” in the place of “if” to make conditional sentences type 1.




Conditional Type 2
Ø  Type 2 conditionals usually suggest that a situation is unlikely, impossible, imaginary or hypothetical. It is also called unreal conditional because it is used for unreal or improbable situations.
Ø  In such sentences we use simple past tense in the “if” clause and would/should/could/might or conditional tense in the main clause.
i.e. if/unless + simple past tense + would
E.g. If I were God, I would kill all prostitutes.
ü  If you studied for the test, you would pass it.
ü  I would call you, if I had your number.
ü  She would understand, if you spoke English
ü  If you spoke English, she would understand.
ü  If you asked me, I would help you.
ü  If you knew English, you would go to London.
ü  If Joseph got more money he would buy a new car.
ü  If we used fertilizer we would get good harvest.
ü  If I lived near the river I would be a fisherman.
ü  If you closed the doo the thief would not steal.


Exercise
3.    Put the following sentences in their correct form to make conditional sentences type 2.
 i.    I will improve my English, if I do more exercises.
ii.    If she goes to the hospital early, she will not(won’t) die
iii.    If you go to Ngorongoro you will see a lot of animals.
iv.    If john comes, we will hold a party.
v.    If you stay quite in the class the teacher will not punish you.
vi.    You will pass, if you study hard.
vii.    She will pass, if she studies hard.
4.    Use the sentences above and put ‘unless” in the place of “if” to make conditional sentences type 2.


Conditional Type 3
Ø  Type three conditionals are used to talk about unreal situations in the past or the possible consequences of something that did not happen in the past.
Ø  It is sometimes called purely hypothetical because it expresses situations that can never be fulfilled.
Ø  In this conditional we use past perfect in the ‘if’ clause (If + had) and conditional perfect (would have) in the main clause.
i.e. if + had (past perfect) + conditional perfect (would have)
ü  I would have lost my luggage if Daddy had not been there.
ü  If Daddy had not been there, I would have lost my luggage.
ü  I would have given up, if you had not encouraged me.
ü  If you had asked me, I would have helped you.
ü  If you had studied for the test, you would have passed it.
ü  I would have called you, if I had had your number.
ü  She would have understood, if you had spoken English
ü  If you had spoken English, she would have understood.
ü  If you had known English, you would have gone to London.
ü  If Joseph had got more money he would have bought a new car.
ü  If we had used fertilizer we would have got good harvest.
ü  If I had lived near the river I would have been a fisherman.
ü  If you had closed the door the thief would not have stolen.


Exercise
5.    Put the following sentences in their correct form to make conditional sentences type 3.
a.    If we pray, God will help us
b.    If you eat balanced diet you will become healthy.
c.    You would improve your English If you do more exercises.
d.    She will marry John if he pays the bride price.
e.    If Samata played today samba would win the match.
f.     If you write the notes you will revise at night.
6.    Use the sentences above and put ‘unless” in the place of “if” to make conditional sentences type 3.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry my fellow teacher I would like to ask on how I can get your materials in PDF format

    ReplyDelete

Characteristics/Features of Oral Literature by Samwitason

  Characteristics/ Features of Oral Literature   The concept of an oral literature is an unfamiliar one to most people brought up in cu...