Thursday 27 September 2018

PARTS OF SPEECH -CONJUNCTIONS by Samson Mwita


CONJUNCTIONS
This is a word that joins together words, phrases, and clauses sentences and show relationship between the ideas in them.
Conjunctions are divided into two groups:
1.    Coordinators. (coordinating conjunctions)
2.    Subordinators. (subordinating conjunction)

COORDINATORS.
These connect individual words or groups of words that perform the same function in a sentence. The units that are joined in coordination have the same status/rank in a sentence. These are, and, or, for, nor, also, but, either – or, neither – nor, so, yet.
ü  Poems can be sung or recited.
ü  John and Jane are getting married next week.
ü  She is neither weak nor strong.
ü  The beautiful girls and handsome boys love each other.
ü  They are cleaning the utensils and putting them on the shelves.
ü  He wanted to help us for he was a kind person.
ü  They studied hard but they did not pass.
ü  He is a rich man yet his family is poorly dressed.
These conjunctions are used to form compound sentences.

SUBORDINATORS.
The word subordinate means less important”. The job of these conjunctions is to join word group or clause that is less important with one that is more of unequal importance. One is a principal or independent clause and another is a subordinate (dependent clause). When used in a sentence the subordinating conjunction shows the relation between the main idea and a subordinate – or less important – idea. These conjunctions are used to form complex sentences. For example;
ü  He was sick. He went to school.
ü  Although he was sick, he went to school.
A group of words introduced by subordinating conjunctions usually modify the idea in the main word group to which they are joined. For example;
ü  Let’s leave after this cartoon is over.
ü  I will sit where you want me to sit.
ü  She closed her eyes as if she were asleep.
ü  We chose that colour because it reminds us of our national flag.
The subordinate conjunction can be either in the first or the last position in the sentence. In other words it moves with the subordinate clause.
ü  She won’t be satisfied even if you buy her a car.
ü  Even if you buy her a car, she won’t be satisfied

 Subordinators can be divided into
1.    Simple subordinating conjunctions.
These consist of only one word. E.g. although, since, that, until, while, whereas, whereby, as, because, however, whereby etc.
2.    Complex/compound subordinating conjunctions.
In order that, such that, so that, except that, as far as, as soon as, in so far as, in case, as if, as though, even if, even though, as though, as long as, on condition that, provided that, in as much as, as well as,
3.    Correlative subordinating conjunctions.
These consist of two or more words that function together. They work in pairs.
As – as
Such – that
Neither – nor
Either – or
Both – and
Not only – but also
Such – as
As – so
So – that
Hardly – when
Scarcely –when
No sooner – than
Though – yet

Let us examine the following examples.
As – as
ü  Marwa is as intelligent as Newton
ü  Joshua is as strong as his daddy.
ü  His shirt was as white as snow.
Such – that
ü  He is such a beautiful girl that he can attract the attention of any man
ü  They are such stubborn than I cannot rest.
Neither – nor
ü  Neither John nor Mwita came to the meeting.
ü  He is neither a teacher nor a doctor.
Either – or
ü  Either Charlie or Chacha will win the election.
ü  I will eat either rice or chips.
Both – and
ü  Both Chantel and Santieli will pass the exam.
ü  They will miss both the bus and the train.
Not only – but also
ü  He not only wrote the book but also acted it.
ü  He is not only a movie director but also a video shooter.
ü  Not only does he sing but also writes poems.
As – so
ü  As you see yourself so you are.
ü  As you study hard so your results will be.
So – that
ü  He is so intelligent that he can solve any problem.
Hardly – when
ü  The police had hardly arrived when the thief escaped.
ü  We had hardly sat down to supper when the phone rang.
Scarcely –when
ü He had scarcely put the phone down when the doorbell rang.
ü Scarcely had the game started when it began to rain.
No sooner – than
ü  No sooner had she said it than she burst into tears.
ü  We had no sooner started watching the news than the power went off.
Though – yet
ü  Though he was working hard, yet his wife was not happy with him.
ü  Though you are beautiful, yet i don’t love you.

Subordinating conjunctions fall into several classes depending on their meanings of functions.

CONCESSION/CONTRAST.
Although (used to mean ‘but’ or ‘however’ when you are commenting on a statement)
ü  Although the sun was shining, it wasn't very warm.
ü  Although small, the kitchen is well designed.
ü  I felt he was wrong, although I didn't say so at the time.
ü  Anne was fond of Tim, although he often annoyed her.
ü  Although she gave no sign, I was sure she had seen me.

Even though/even if (means despite the fact or belief that; no matter whether)
ü I'll get there, even if I have to walk.
ü I like her, even though she can be annoying at times.
ü Even though he is honest, I don’t trust him.
ü You won’t pass the exam even if you study overnight.
Though  (means despite the fact that)
ü  Anne was fond of Tim, though he often annoyed her.
ü  Though she gave no sign, I was sure she had seen me.
ü  His clothes, though old and worn, looked clean and of good quality.
ü  Strange though it may sound, I was pleased it was over.

Even so- despite that
ü  There are a lot of spelling mistakes; even so, it's quite a good essay.
ü  She was extremely sick during the exams; even so, she did well.
ü  There has been no good rainfall this year; even so, we shall have good harvest.

Despite (this is used to show that something happened or is true although something else might have happened to prevent it)
ü  Her voice was shaking despite all her efforts to control it.
ü  Despite applying for hundreds of jobs, he is still out of work.
ü  She was good at physics despite the fact that she found it boring.

In spite of (if you say that somebody did something in spite of a fact, you mean it is surprising that that fact did not prevent them from doing it)
ü  In spite of his age, he still leads an active life.
ü  They went swimming in spite of all the danger signs.
ü  English became the official language for business in spite of the fact that the population was largely Chinese.

Notwithstanding
(a)          This means without being affected by something; despite something.
ü  Notwithstanding some major financial problems, the school has had a successful year.
ü  Notwithstanding the bad weather, the event was a great success.
ü  Her voice was shaking, notwithstanding all the confidence she has.
ü  Notwithstanding the rise in price, people still bought beers.
ü  Notwithstanding poor preparation, we passed the test.
(b)         It is also used following the noun it refers to.
ü  Heavy rainfall this year notwithstanding, we got poor harvest.
ü  Some major financial problems notwithstanding, the school has had a successful year.
ü  The bad weather notwithstanding, the event was a great success.
ü  All the confidence she has notwithstanding her voice was shaking
ü  The rise in price notwithstanding, people still bought beers.
ü  Poor preparation notwithstanding, we passed the test

However
(a)          It is a way of saying ‘but’.
ü  She has the window open, however cold it is outside.
ü  The weather was bad however; the event was a great success.
ü  she has the confidence however, her voice was shaking
ü  The price kept on rising however, people still bought beers.
ü  We had poor preparation however, we passed the test
(b)         To whatever degree/no matter how.
ü  However carefully I explained, she still didn't understand.
ü  We continued working however hot it was.
ü  I don’t love him, however handsome he is.
ü  We shall pass the exam however difficult it might be.

Nevertheless/ Nonetheless.
(a)        Despite something that you have just mentioned/ however.
ü  There is little chance that we will succeed in changing the law; nevertheless, it is important that we try.
ü  The problems are not serious; nonetheless, we shall need to tackle them soon
ü  Jogging is a good exercise; nevertheless many students prefer travelling by bus.
ü  English is a medium of instruction in schools; nevertheless it is rarely spoken in sec schools.
ü  She tries hard nonetheless she will not succeed.
(b)       Nevertheless/nonetheless can be used with but.
ü  The book is too long but, nonetheless, informative and entertaining.
ü  Our defeat was expected but it is disappointing nevertheless.
ü  The old system had its flaws, but nevertheless it was preferable to the new one.
ü  The problems are not serious; but we shall need to tackle them soon nonetheless.
ü  Abraham was strong, but he was beaten in the first round nevertheless.
ü  It was raining; but we managed to go to school, nevertheless.

Whereas (this is used to compare or contrast two facts. The same as ‘while/but’)
ü  Some of the studies show positive results, whereas others do not.
ü  We thought she was arrogant, whereas in fact she was just very shy.
ü  She is very intelligent, whereas her brother is very stupid.
ü  Girls like to use phones for chatting whereas boys use them to play games.

While (this is used to contrast two things the same as whereas/but)
ü  While Tom is very good at science, his brother is absolutely hopeless.
ü  Some people work better to music while others do not.
ü  John likes jogging while his wife likes romantic novels.
ü  While Jennet goes to church on Saturday, her husband goes to church on Sunday.

But (this is used to introduce a word or phrase that contrasts with what was said before)
ü  Tom is very good at science, but his brother is absolutely hopeless.
ü  Some people work better to music but others do not.
ü  John likes jogging but his wife likes romantic novels.
ü  Jennet goes to church on Saturday, but her husband goes to church on Sunday.
ü  His mother won't be there, but his father might.
ü  It isn't that he lied exactly, but he did tend to exaggerate.

Strange as it may seem
ü  I'm looking forward to the exam, strange as it may seem.
ü  Strange as it may seem, all form fours got division zero.
ü  Strange as it may seem, Matata beat his teacher.
ü  Strange as it may seem nobody was injured in that accident.

Much as (this means although)
ü  Much as I would like to stay, I really must go home
ü  She kept on complaining, much as her husband tried to satisfy her.
ü  Much as we played well, we were beaten 2-0.
ü  Much as I would like to help you, there is nothing I can do.

As
ü  Happy as they were, there was something missing.
ü  Sad as he was, he pretended to be cheerful.
ü  They cannot win the match strongly as they play.

Whether – or (this is used to show that something is true in either of two cases)
ü  You are entitled to a free gift whether you accept our offer of insurance or not.
ü  I'm going whether you like it or not.
ü  Whether or not we're successful, we can be sure that we did our best.
ü  Whether you like it or not you are going to clean the classroom alone.

CAUSE OR REASON

As (this is used to state the reason for something – the same as because)
ü  As you were out, I left a message.
ü  She may need some help as she's new.
ü  I couldn’t contact him as I had no his number.
ü  She didn’t understand as she didn’t know English.
ü  As it was dark outside I took a touch.

Because (used to say ‘for the reason that’)
ü  I did it because he told me to.
ü  Just because I don't complain, people think I'm satisfied.
ü  She was angry at me because I didn’t marry her.
ü  Joshua complained because I took his phone without permission.

Since (used the same way as “because; as”
ü  We thought that, since we were in the area, we'd stop by and see them.
ü  Juliana should tell us what happened since she was there.
ü  She didn’t come since she had problems.

For (is used to introduce the reason for something mentioned in the previous statement)
ü  We listened eagerly, for he brought news of our families.
ü  I believed her for she had never lied to me.
ü  I love my wife for she is everything to me.

PURPOSE.
So that (this is used to show the purpose of something)
ü  I gave you a map so that you wouldn't get lost!
ü  She worked hard so that everything would be ready in time.
ü  I will bring you the book so that you may read it.
In order that (so that something can happen)
ü All those concerned must work together in order that agreement can be reached on this issue
ü  I gave you a map in order that you wouldn't get lost!
ü  She worked hard in order that everything would be ready in time.
ü  I will bring you the book in order that you may read it.

In order to (with the purpose or intention of doing or achieving something)
ü  She arrived early in order to get a good seat.
ü  In order to get a complete picture, further information is needed.
ü  He saved some money in order to buy a car.
ü  They practiced regularly in order to win the match.

Lest (in order to prevent something from happening)
ü  He gripped his brother's arm lest he be trampled by the mob.
ü  Lest anyone should doubt my story, I have brought documents to attest to its truth.
ü  Walk carefully lest you trip.

That.
ü  I woke up early that I may finish my work in time.
ü  She came to see me that I may help her to pay the school fees.
ü  They brought sick people to Jesus that he might heal them.

So as to (with the intention of doing something)
ü  We went early so as to get good seats.
ü  We ate balanced diet so as to avoid malnutrition deficiencies.
ü  He called me in the morning so as to inform me of the death of his father.

RESULT OR CONSEQUENCE
As a result
ü  The king treated his people kindly as a result they all loved him
ü  He didn’t close the door as a result the robbers stole his laptop.
ü  She refused to change her behaviour as a result i refused to marry her.
ü  You didn’t want to study hard as a result you have failed your exam.

So – that
ü  The king treated his people so kindly that they all loved him.
ü  He studied so hard that he passed with flying colours.
ü  He was so proud of a new baby that he ignored his wife.
ü  She was so beautiful that she attracted many men.
So that
ü  The king treated his people kindly so that they all loved him.
ü  He studied hard so that he passed with flying colours.
ü  They played well so that they won the game.
ü  He came earlier than usual so that he finished his work.

Eventually (at the end of a period of time or a series of events)
ü She ignored the doctor’s advice eventually she died of AIDS
ü We fought for our country eventually we got our independence.

Consequently (as a result; therefore)
ü  She failed her exams consequently she was unable to start her studies at college.
ü She ignored the doctor’s advice consequently she died of AIDS.
ü We fought for our country consequently we got our independence.

That (used to express a result)
ü  She was tired that she couldn't think straight.
ü  She ignored the doctor’s advice that she died of AIDS.
ü  He was extremely social that he made a lot of friends.

Therefore (used to introduce the logical result of something that has just been mentioned)
ü  He is not smart therefore I don’t love him.
ü  They came late to school therefore they were punished.

So (as a result)
ü  He did the work as I said so I gave him the gift.
ü  He did not revise thoroughly so he failed his exam.

CONDITION
Except that (apart from the fact that)
ü  Except that I needed the money, I wouldn’t have gone there.
ü  I didn't tell him anything except that I he asked me my name.
ü  She is a good friend except that she is a little impatient.

If (this is used to say that one thing can, will or might happen or be true, depending on another thing happening or being true
ü  If you see him, give him this note.
ü  I'll only stay if you offer me more money.
ü  If necessary I can come at once.
ü  You can stay for the weekend if you like.
ü  If anyone calls, tell them I'm not at home.

Unless (this is used to say that something can only happen or be true in a particular situation or to give the only situation in which something will not happen or be true)
ü  You won't get paid for time off unless you have a doctor's note.
ü  I won't tell them—not unless you say I can.
ü  Unless I'm mistaken, she was back at work yesterday.
ü  He hasn't got any hobbies—unless you call watching TV a hobby.
ü  I sleep with the window open unless it's really cold.
ü  Unless something unexpected happens, I'll see you tomorrow.
ü  Have a cup of tea—unless you'd prefer a cold drink?
Provided that (this is used to say what must happen or be done to make it possible for something else to happen. Used in a sense of “if” )
ü  We'll buy everything you produce, provided that the price is right.
ü  Provided that you have the money in your account, you can withdraw it anytime.
ü  I will marry you provided that you stop smoking.
As long as
ü  I will give you the money as long as you do what I say.
ü  As long as you don’t listen to me, don’t expect anything from me.
ü  You will save enough money as long as you stop buying unimportant things.

In case (if something happens)
ü  Give him this letter in case you meet him
ü  In case he comes tell him I will be back in the evening.
ü  You will reduce your weight in case you eat a balanced diet.

TIME

While (during the time that something is happening ‘when’)
ü  We must have been burgled while we were asleep.
ü  Her parents died while she was still at school.
ü  While I was waiting at the bus stop, three buses went by in the opposite direction.
ü  You can go swimming while I'm having lunch.
When (at or during the time that)
ü  I loved history when I was at school.
ü  He had just drifted off to sleep when the phone rang.
ü  Give him this book when he comes.
ü  When you go there, tell him I will visit him next week.

Since (used with the present perfect, past perfect or simple present tense in the main clause) from an event in the past until a later past event, or until now)
ü  Cathy hasn't phoned since she went to Nairobi.
ü  It was the first time I'd had visitors since I'd moved to my new house.
ü  It's been twenty years since I' last saw her.
ü  How long is it since we last went to the theatre?
ü  She had been worrying ever since the letter arrived.
ü  I have never gone back to Mwanza since 2002

For (is used to show a length of time)
ü  I'm going away for a few days.
ü  That's all the news there is for now.
ü  I have lived here for five years.
ü  She’s been working at Heritage for a decade now.

After (at a time later than something; when something has finished)
ü  I'll call you after I've spoken to them.
ü  They met again by chance in Paris after they'd split up for several years.
ü  I started my own business after I’d been fired from my former job.

Before (earlier than the time when)
ü  Did she leave a message before she went?
ü  Before I made a decision, I thought carefully about it.
ü  She left before I spoke to her.
ü  They were living here before they built their new house.

Till /until (up to the point in time or the event mentioned)
ü  Let's wait until the rain stops.
ü  Until she spoke I hadn't realized she wasn't a Tanzanian.
ü  You're not going out until you've finished this work.
ü  He continued working up until he died.
As (while something else is happening)
ü  He sat watching her as she got ready.
ü  As she grew older she gained in confidence.
ü  As I was going out, my phone rang.
ü  I saw her as she was heading to the library.

Now that
ü  Now that the kids have left home we've got a lot of extra space.
ü  Now that the exams are over we can relax.
ü  Tell me the truth, now that we are by ourselves.

As soon as (early; quickly, immediately)
ü  We'll deliver the goods as soon as we get there.
ü  She started crying as soon as I left the house.
ü  I will married you as soon as you pay the bride price.

MANNER, COMPARISON OR DEGREE

As (in the way in which)
ü  They did as I had asked.
ü  Leave the papers as they are.
ü  She lost it, just as I said she would.


As – as
ü  He doesn't earn as much as I do.
ü  It's not as hard as I thought.
ü  Run as fast as you can.
ü  We'd like it as soon as possible.

As if/ As though (in a way that suggests something)
ü  He behaved as if nothing had happened.
ü  It sounds as though you had a good time.
ü  You ignored my birthday as if you didn't know!

Than (this is used to introduce the second part of a comparison)
ü  She wrote the exam better than I expected.
ü  Diamond is more expensive than gold.
ü  It never takes more than an hour.
ü  It's less than a mile to the beach.
ü  There were fewer than twenty people there
ü  He loves me more than you do.
ü  It was much better than I'd expected.
As – as (this is used when you are comparing two people or things, or two situations)
ü  She's very tall, as is her mother
ü  You're as tall as your father.
ü  He was as white as a sheet.
ü  She doesn't play as well as her sister.
ü  He doesn't earn as much as I do.
ü  It's not as hard as I thought.

So – as (to such a great degree)
ü  He does not sing so well as his sister
ü  He did it so well as I expected.
ü  I'm not so stupid as to believe that.
ü  Would you be so kind as to lock the door when you leave?







EXERCISE
Re-write the following sentences according to the instructions given.
1.      He washed his face. He combed his hair. (Begin: Not only..............)
2.      The match was amazing in spite of the rain (Use: Despite)
3.      You will succeed if you have goals. (Begin: Unless.............)
4.      She was too fat to walk ten miles on foot. (Use: .....so ......that......)
5.      The teacher was not present; the students were not present too.
(Begin: Neither ..................nor...........)
6.      It was raining. We went to play. (Join using .....however....)
7.      She is very intelligent. Her brother is very stupid. (Join using ...whereas...)
8.      English is a medium of instruction in schools. It is rarely spoken in sec schools. (join using ...nevertheless....)
9.      The rise in price. People still bought beers. (Begin notwithstanding…)
10.  There are a lot of spelling mistakes. It’s quite a good essay. (join using (….even so…)
11.  Anne was fond of Tim. He often annoyed her. (Use …though…)
12.  I'll get there. I have to walk. (Begin Even if…………)
13.  The kitchen is small. It is well designed (use ….although…..)
14.  John likes jogging. His wife likes romantic novels. (join using ..while)
15.  I would like to stay. I really must go home (Begin…Much as…)
16.  She worked hard so that everything would be ready in time (use …in order that…)
17.  The king treated his people kindly so they all loved him. (use ...that...)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Characteristics/Features of Oral Literature by Samwitason

  Characteristics/ Features of Oral Literature   The concept of an oral literature is an unfamiliar one to most people brought up in cu...