Thursday 27 September 2018

PARTS OF SPEECH - PREPOSITION by Samson Mwita


PREPOSITIONS
A preposition is a word used to relate the noun or pronoun that usually follows it to other words in a sentence. Prepositions show special relationships of time, place, manner or kind. A prepositional phrase sometimes functions as an adverb answering the questions like when, where, how often and sometimes as an adjective answering questions like what kind or whose. Some prepositions are made up of more than one word. These preposition word groups work just like prepositions.

Some common prepositions.
a.    Single word (simple) prepositions.

About,
above,
abroad, across,
after,
against,
 along, alongside, among, around,
at,
before, behind, below, beneath, beside, besides, between, beyond,
but,
by, concerning,
despite,
 down,
during, except,
for,
from,
in,
inside,
into,
like,
near,
next,
of,
off,
on,
onto,
out,
outside,
over,
past,
since, through, throughout,
till,
to,
toward, towards, under,
until,
up,
upon,
with,
within, without, regarding,


Examples;
ü  There's nothing you can do about it now.
ü  The water came above our knees.
ü  He walked across the field.
ü  The sun disappeared behind the clouds.
ü  He dived below the surface of the water.
ü  He asked several questions concerning the future of the company.
ü  Please remain seated during the performance.
ü  The road continues beyond the village up into the hills.
ü  The bullet went straight through him.

b.    Multiple word (complex)prepositions

Out of,
from behind,
 from among,
 from under,
 from within,
 according to,
 near to,
next to,
 nearest to,
 opposite to,
 close to,
 inclusive of,
 exclusive of,
 instead of,
in spite of,
due to,
owing to,
away from,
by way of,
with reference to,
on account of,
in consequence,
with a view to  of,
in accordance with,
in order to,
on behalf of,
in comparison to,
in favour of,
in lieu of,
in place of,
in regard to, 
at the back of,
at the expense of,
for the love of,
in need of,
in search of,
at peace with,
in memory of,
in conformity with,
along with,
because of,
by means of,
for the sake of,
in addition to,
in case of,
in compliance to,
in front of,
with regard to,
by the side of, in case of,
in order to,
in exchange for,
in contradiction with,
in line with, etc.


Examples;
ü  You've been absent six times according to our records.
ü  He was standing in front of me in the line.
ü  She lost her job when the factory closed, along with hundreds of others.
ü  An eclipse happens when the earth and moon are in line with the sun.
ü  In addition to these arrangements, extra ambulances will be on duty until midnight.
ü  Go and sit nearer (to) the fire.
ü  He founded the charity in memory of his late wife.
ü  He walked slowly because of his bad leg.
ü  Students must act in conformity with school rules and regulations
ü  The company's position with regard to overtime is made clear in their contracts.
ü  He argued in favour of the motion

Exercise
1.    Choose the best answer that completes the sentences below.
i.        The police told the bank robbers to the car with their hands in the air.
a.)     get out                 b. get out of                c. get off
ii.      All the staff have to welcome the tourists …...  
a.)     in the hotel          b. to the hotel             c. at the hotel
iii.    There's a very nice painting ……. over there.  
a.) in the wall            b. on the wall             c. at the wall
iv.    A: Let's go shopping in town tomorrow.
B: Good idea. I'll meet you ……..at eleven.  
b) at the bus stop      b. in the bus stop        c. on the bus stop
v.      I moved to Holland ……. because I got a job in Amsterdam.  
a.) in the 2001                  b. on 2001                c. in 2001
vi.    Someone will be with you …….. Sorry to keep you waiting.  
a.)    at the moment             b. in a moment         c. in moment's time
vii.  Sarah gave me her necklace to …….. while I was away.  
a.)    remind me about her  b. remind me her      c. remind me of her
viii.A: Do you know who 'Tim Watts' is?
B: No. I've ………. him.  
a.)    never heard from        b. never heard about c. never heard of
ix.    I don't think James …….what other people think of him.  
a.)    takes care of               b. cares about            c. looks after
x.      Please contact me ………. if necessary while I am away from the office.
a.)    with email                  b. in email                 c. by email
xi.    Whenever we go anywhere in the car Charles always …… driving.  
a.)    insists on                    b. insists                    c. insists to
xii.  Don't put that cup of coffee ……..the table. It might fall on the floor.  
a.)    on the corner of          b. in the corner of     c. on corner of
xiii.A: All three of our children have gone to college.
B: You must be very …………..
a.)    proud of them             b. proud about          c. impressed by them
xiv.A: Helen said it is rude to ………..people.
B: I guess she's right.  
a.)    point at                       b. point for                c. point to
xv.  Gillian danced all evening …….. .  
a.)    in the party                 b. at party                  c. at the party
xvi.We were …….. waiting for the bus so we decided to walk.  
a.)    fed up with                 b. fed up about            c. aware of
xvii.                      A: Where are all your fish, Simon?
B: They all ………. a disease, I'm afraid.  
a.)    died with                    b. died of                     c. died for
xviii.                    People in the UK can vote ……. .   eighteen
a.)    at the age                   b. on the age                 c. at the age of
xix.A: Do you think there is a ……….crime and poverty?
B: Personally, I don't think so.  
a.)  connection in            b. connection between    c. connection with





2.    Place the correct preposition in the following spaces.

(a)    The children in Sudan died _______________ hunger.
(b)   I damaged the computer __________ mistake.
(c)    _______ my opinion, I feel girls should be given equal opportunities.
(d)   He explored the school yard _________ horseback.
(e)    There is a difference ___________________ the two men.
(f)     The musician was sentenced _________ life imprisonment.
(g)   Should students be provided _________ condoms.
(h)   Please write this _________ pencil.
(i)     I am not familiar ________ mobitel charges.
(j)     Locusts are destructive ________ crops.
(k)   I dedicated the book _____________ my mother.
(l)     I am not guilty __________ the crime, I shouted.
(m) I was just recovering __________ Malaria when I was again sick with dog bite.
(n)   I asked my mother if she was satisfied _______ my results from school.
(o)   I informed him that I was married ________ Mr. Edgar Smith.
(p)   The burglar came at night taking advantage ________ the darkness.
(q)   I met a man who was related ________ my wife.
(r)     I was proud _________ my young sister for winning the race.
(s)    The teacher shouted at me and told me that he was not finished ______ me.
(t)     I am tired ___________ eating the same type of food.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Characteristics/Features of Oral Literature by Samwitason

  Characteristics/ Features of Oral Literature   The concept of an oral literature is an unfamiliar one to most people brought up in cu...